After spending the day at the beach on Saturday, Hubby and I wanted something for dinner that was light, refreshing and healthy. We decided to make blueberry mint mojitos and barbecue chicken salad. They both turned out do be delicious! These recipes are perfect for a warm summer night when you don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Enjoy!
This refreshing low calorie drink is perfect for warm summer evenings and the blueberries add a lovely purple hue! You can use sugar, simple syrup, or agave nectar to sweeten this little treat. It can also be enjoyed as a delicious non-alcoholic beverage, just leave out the rum.
2 Tablespoons blueberries (Fresh or Frozen)
1 Tablespoon white sugar or simple syrup*
5-10 mint leaves
1 1/2 oz light rum
1. Place mint leaves, sugar and blueberries in a glass and muddle.
2. Add ice, rum and club soda.
3. Stir together and serve!
1 Cup white sugar
1 Cup water
1. In a medium sauce pan stir together sugar and water
2. Bring to a boil stirring constantly until sugar dissolves
3. Let cool and use as sweetener
This delicious salad is not only tasty, but filling and healthy as well. Filled with fiber, protein and vitamins, this salad is perfect as a stand alone summer meal.
2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 head Romaine Lettuce
1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium Cucumber
1 1/2 cup corn (I used frozen roasted corn from Trader Joe's)
1/2 cup French's Onion Strings
1/4 cup Ranch Dressing
1/4 cup Barbecue Sauce
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cooking time will depend on thickness of chicken. Approximately 10-12 minutes on each side until there isn't any pinkness in meat and juices run clear. Set cooked chicken aside.
2. Cook Corn according to package directions, drain and rinse beans, chop lettuce and vegetables into bite sized pieces.
3. Mix ranch dressing and barbecue sauce together in a small bowl to make the dressing.
4. Mix all ingredients together with dressing and chicken and top with onion strings. Enjoy!